Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Letter to Stewart

April 27, 2015

Dear Stewart;

            As I write, Sydney and Charlie are watching the 3rd Harry Potter Movie.  Over the last few months Sydney has been reading all the HP books to Charlie after which they watch the corresponding movie.  They read for an hour last night finishing book 3.  By herself, Sydney has worked her way all the way to book 7 and is almost done with that.  I’m guess that within the next 6 months she will complete and the books a 2nd time with Charlie.  He’s hooked!  Around here Star Wars and Harry Potter rule!
            Today at school Charlie was uno cerdito in his classroom play of the Three Little Pigs.  He was the smart and wise cerdito that built his house of bricks.  My favorite part were the words “Lopo Feroz” Charlie chanted.  Charlie’s Spanish is coming – he can read decent enough and his comprehension is OK.  You’ll have to practice with him when you get back J  (Or write him a letter in Spanish).
            Of note today as well – we finished the Doctrine of Covenants.  We didn’t read it in its entirety, but a lot of it – to help Maren finish her reading for Seminary.   The Seminary has a new standard, Students must actually read the book of scripture that is being studied AND pass a test to get credit for the class.  They’re raising the bar – which is good, and bad.  Good because we are sending missionaries out when they are 18 and BYU is becoming mega-competitive to get into-there needs to be some standard, but bad because it might discourage some kids, and the last thing we need are discouraged (already sensitive) teenagers in regards to the gospel.  Next year is the Old Testament – I’m going to have Maren start her reading during the summer!
            I think Dad sent you some pictures of the side yard – it’s very pretty dirt right now (or mud – because it’s been raining like crazy this spring).  The rain has also made the dirt (mud) very heavy to move!  We hauled, and raked, and shoveled for most of the day Saturday.  We’re close – another couple of hours and the area will be ready for trenching and sprinkler system.  Maren and Emma will help dad with this one.  It’ll be a lot smaller than the back yard (obviously).  Maybe it’ll take a month to do the sprinklers (maybe longer?)  Then it’s the sod, planting plants, and dad will build the raised garden beds. Wow!  We might get that done before fall!
            This weekend as well Dad and I used your free Symphony tickets and went to the last Symphony performance for the 2014-2015 year.  It was really fabulous.  There was a violin concerto and the violinist was amazing.  45 minutes of a memorized, fast moving, crazy violin song.  We’ll have to make a point to go again soon.
            Only 10 days left before school is out.  Yahoo!!!  Over the weekend we built a float for the great state of Indiana and a diorama for the book Because of Winn-Dixie.  I’m not going to miss Elementary school when Charlie graduates in 4 years.
            We had a really nice Sacrament meeting this week on Family History.  I sure love what technology has done for Family History.  I love the Family Search app for my ipad and phone.  In fact, Charlie loves to flip through my ipad at church trying to figure out which family line takes him back the furthest.  Our favorite in the direct Frazier line which links to Simon “the fox” Fraser from about the 1100s.  He was well known enough that there are pictures of him (paintings) and some not-so-flattering political cartoons.  Will you be able to have that app on your ipad (when you get your ipad)?  I need to spend more time reading about my ancestors so I can send you some of their amazing stories – right now I’m just enjoying looking at my family tree and the pictures people have posted.  I even posted a picture of our family and a few of my Grandpa Frazier.  The talks also focused on the importance of sharing family stories with our children, not just those of our ancestors, but our stories as well.  So, for FHE that night I shared the story of me getting lost in the mountains of St. George with my friends in college.  Have I told you that one?  If not, let me know and I’ll type it up – it’s a bit involved.

Have a great day!  I’ll bet this time of year is lovely where you are!  Send more pictures J

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment