Thursday, October 29, 2015

Letter to Stewart

How’s it going?  I’m really impressed with all the cooking you’re doing as a missionary.  I didn’t realize I had taught you so well – or maybe it was the foods classes you took in JrH and HS.  Too bad your companion doesn’t appreciate a good home-cooked meal.  You’ll be the best roommate at college; while others are gaining wait and spending money on eating out, you’ll avoid both of those negatives by cooking.  I really enjoyed cooking in Italy and I love how Mediterranean Europe .  It has such a strong food culture.  That’s something missing in America.
            Last Sunday we had Emily’s homecoming.  She did such a good job.  She stood up and said “I loved my mission”, and then she started to cry.  She talked about her best companion – the Holy Ghost and then told a bunch of stories on what the Holy Ghost did to guide, direct, and comfort her while being a missionary.  Her last area was a Spanish speaking branch in Tokyo.  Isn’t that funny and she taught a girl from Argentina.  Boy, those Latinos find the gospel all over the world!  I guess you’ll have to see how much Spanish she actually learned in her last area.  Last weekend Blake lined her up with one of his buddies and they did a double date.  Emily said it was really awkward.  Then Blake brought a girl to Emily’s homecoming – someone who just finisher her mission to Guatemala and reported to the High Council on the same day Blake did.  They looked like they were enjoying each other company. 
            In other, less spiritual news, OHS beat Skyline in OT by 3 points.  It was a very exciting game, or so I hear since I wasn’t there.  Dad and I saw a good over the weekend – The Martian with Matt Damon (He still looks like my brother Jason).  You can put that on the good movie list.  Dad took the Scouts camping up to the Coates property in Heber.  They bought a huge piece of land and are going to build a cabin up there that is totally off the grid so they can live up there when the apocalypse comes.  Dad continues to work on the side yard.  It’s looking really nice!  It’ll be fun to plant a garden in the grow boxes.  I took the kids to see OHS’ production of Mary Poppins.  As usual, they did a really good job!  Maren is going to Monster Mash tomorrow night, stag.  Her girl friends decided they didn’t want to get dates, but wanted to go anyway.  I think they’re missing out.  This year Charlie will be s clone trooper (big surprise), Sydney will be a Southern bell, and Emma is dressed like Where’s Waldo with all her friends.  Maren and her friends are dressing like zombie dolls for the dance.
            OK – This is an example of getting side-tracked and getting back to your letter 2 days later; sorry.  I’m printing and sending as tomorrow is Saturday AND Halloween and I’m certain to get nothing done.

Love you,


MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment